Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What should a 4 year old know?

What should a 4 year old know?

I really loved this article. I don't go out of my way to teach Little C anything, as in we don't sit down or make time specifically to learn something new. But we do look for opportunities during the day to talk about colours, counting, new animals and insects etc. Sometimes this approach is challenging for me, as I did well with formal learning (although at an older age than she is now) and thrived in a testing/recalled memory environment.

Which leads me on to this: www.yourbabycanread.com.au:
Based on the research of Robert C.Titzer, Ph.D, Your Baby Can Read! is the first video series in the world designed to help babies, toddlers, and preschoolers learn to read!..."Dr. Titzer's multi-sensory reading approach" teaches little ones to recognize words, easily and naturally, using several senses at the same time.

This "reading program" can be started as early as 3 months! Why on earth does a baby need to read?

2 comments:

  1. A baby reading at 3 months? Can they even see properly then?! I know, since I'm a major book nerd, I will be reading to my kids from birth but that's just cos I can't help myself not cos I want them to be working on Ulysses for their 9th birthday. Kind of plays into the whole Tiger Mom thing, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being read to is a must for every child I reckon. We have tonnes of books and Little C loves to be read to. In fact this is the best way to learn to read and develop a natural love of reading. Recognising what words look like and storing them in your memory does not make a natural reader.

    And yes, I definitely think it's a Tiger Mom thing to do.

    ReplyDelete